A crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth. Our top-quality crowns are metal-free, and are made from strong biocompatible materials that have a natural look and feel.
When would I need a crown?
- To restore an extensively decayed tooth
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling where these is not much natural tooth structure left
- To protect a weak tooth from fracturing, especially root canal treated teeth
- To hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To cover an already broken or severely worn-down tooth
- To cover severely discolored teeth for cosmetic improvement
- To cover a dental implant
Does Getting a Crown Hurt? What’s it Like?
The great news is that getting a crown doesn’t hurt! It will feel like getting a longer filling. Your tooth is first numbed with local anesthesia. Preparation requires removing some of the enamel to recontour the tooth to make room for crown to fit on top. After the tooth is prepared, an impression is made of the tooth which the lab will use to custom make your crown to fit and match your teeth. A temporary crown will then be made to protect your tooth while your final crown is being made.
During your second visit, your temporary crown will be removed and your new crown tried in and adjusted to ensure proper fit. If the fit looks good, the crown is cemented into place!
How Long Do Crowns Last?
Be sure to keep it clean with the proper brushing and flossing technique. With proper care, you can expect your crown to last anywhere from 5-15 years…and we’ve seen them last much longer!
Feel free to call us today, or request your appointment now. Our friendly team is here to help you!